close mobile menuClose Menu
  • boys electric awards


    angies list 2013
    angies list 2015



  • Electric Metering and Mast Installation, Repair & Maintenance

    You may not think much about how electricity enters your home, but if you get your electricity from overhead wires, you need a service mast (metal pole) with service-drop conductors to create a proper entry point. Underground wires must follow the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) regulations for service-lateral conductors.

    While the service mast and weatherhead act as the utility’s point of entry, the meter measures your home’s electricity consumption. To put it simply, mast and meter are the carriers and measurers of your home’s electricity. If you think your mast or meter is broken or flawed, contact The Twin Cities’ Favorite Electricians at Boy’s Electric.

    The Service Mast

    After a local power plant generates electricity, it gets delivered to your home over high-voltage transmission wires. Wires can either run underground (with a service lateral) or aboveground (with a service drop).

    The service mast (metal pole) and the weatherhead make up the connection point for electricity to enter the home. Your mast contains three wires—two insulated power wires carrying 120 volts and a third grounded, neutral wire.

    Safety rules and regulations require that you have a proper utility entrance point, clear of obstructions and properly connected to the service head. Overhead masts should be galvanized and be about 16–18 feet above ground at an attachment point on the building structure near the closest transformer. Each home is different, however, which means you will need a qualified electrician to inspect the home first before conducting any mast services.

    The Electricity Meter

    The electric meter measures your home’s electrical consumption. It can usually be found on an exterior wall of the house and connects to the service mast. Never tamper with you meter as it belongs to the local power utility company! Not only is it a crime, but it’s also a huge safety issue. If you suspect a problem with your meter, call your local electrician or utility company.

    Mast and Meter Services

    Boy’s Electric Installs, Repairs & Maintains:

    • Service Drop
    • Service Lateral
    • Wiring Between Transformers and Mast/Meter
    • Service Rack and Mounting
    • Meter Base & Panels
    • Galvanized Conduit
    • Grounding Connections
    • Attachment Support Brackets
    • Service Ground
    • Ground Rod
    • Cables & Conductors

    Always hire a qualified electrician to install and repair your mast and meter. This is dangerous and complicated work requiring the skills of an expert electrician.

    For residential mast and meter services in the Minneapolis–Saint Paul area, call Boy’s Electric at (651) 393-6830 or (612) 284-8623.